Which are the best casein protein powders?
If you’re looking for a supplement to release protein slowly while you sleep or one that keeps you feeling full for longer, then a high-quality casein protein powder will do the trick.
With that in mind, we’ve rounded up the best casein protein powders on the market right now, so all you have to do is choose your favorite, follow its serving guidelines, and start making those slow-release protein gains!
Here’s a list of the 10 best casein protein powders.
“Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will get a small commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.”
The 10 Best Casein Protein Powders
The list of casein protein powders and figures mentioned below has been compiled from various sources around the web.
These are the 10 best casein protein powders:
10. MuscleTech – NitroTech Casein Gold
- Nitro Tech Casein Gold is superior to other casein...
- Delivers 24g of high-quality protein taken from...
- Smooth, great-tasting protein powder that doesn't pack...
NitroTech Casein Gold protein powder, from MuscleTech, is made from multiple premium casein protein sources.
Each 5.02lb tub contains approximately 71 servings/scoops of high-quality micellar casein, with each serving providing 24g of protein.
Aside from the high protein content, NitroTech Casein gold is gluten-free and includes 2g of carbohydrates, 0.5g of fat, 10g of BCAAs, Glutamine, and precursors per serving.
MuscleTech recommends consuming NitroTech Casein Gold at night or between main meals to maximize the benefits of the slow-digesting proteins found in casein.
They also suggest mixing one or two scoops with 8-10 fl.oz of water or skim milk for the best results.
9. Kaged Muscle – Kasein
- Anti-catabolic – each serving contains 25 g of...
- Improve muscle recovery – Kaged Muscle kasein is a...
- Maximize muscle Gains – Scientifically proven to...
Kaged muscle’s Kasein protein powder offers 25 servings of ultra-premium cold-pressed micellar casein isolate.
Each serving includes 25g of casein protein and several essential amino acids to help repair and rebuild muscle.
It’s free from gluten, soy lecithin, and all-banned substances, and contains less than 1g of lactose per serving.
To get the most bang for your buck, Kaged Muscle suggests mixing one heaping scoop of Kaesin protein powder with 8-10 fl.oz of cold water and drinking it before going to bed.
This is so that your body can benefit from casein’s slow-digesting proteins and to make sure your body is in a constant supply of amino acids and protein while repairing itself when you’re asleep.
8. MusclePharm – Combat 100% Casein
- 100% MICELLAR CASEIN: Combat 100% Casein protein powder...
- REPAIRS & REBUILDS MUSCLE: Sleeping is an optimal time...
- IDEAL NIGHTTIME PROTEIN SOURCE: For those who require...
MusclePharm Combat 100% Casein is a gluten-free protein supplement that delivers sustained, slow-releasing, amino acids, and protein that helps repair and rebuild muscle.
In a 4lb tub of Combat 100% Casein, you can expect to get approximately 52 servings/scoops of casein, which each contain 28g of protein, 2g of carbohydrates, and 0g of fat.
It’s 100% gluten-free and includes extra digestive enzymes to help with digestion and absorption of proteins into your muscles.
MusclePharm recommends taking Combat 100% Casein at night to fuel your body with protein and amino acids while you sleep.
For best results, they suggest mixing one scoop with 8-12 fl.oz of cold water or milk and consume alongside whole food protein sources and a well-rounded diet.
7. Legion Athletics – Casein+
- 100% MICELLAR CASEIN PROTEIN POWDER. Casein+ is a...
- COMES FROM WORLD-FAMOUS IRISH DAIRY FARMS. Casein+ is...
- DOWNRIGHT DECADENT & DELICIOUS. Seriously. Casein+ is...
Casein+ from Legion Athletics is a naturally sweetened, low carb micellar casein protein powder.
A 2.15lb tub provides you with around 30 servings/scoops of casein, with each serving containing 26g of protein, 2g of carbohydrates, and 0g of fat.
The protein is made from 100% grass-fed casein isolate sourced from high-quality milk from small dairy farms in Ireland.
It’s completely free from artificial sweeteners, food dyes, chemicals, and fillers, and does not contain any soy, gluten, GMOs, MSG, hormones, or antibiotics.
Legion Athletics recommends mixing one scoop of Casein+ with 8-10 fl.oz of water, or your favorite beverage, before going to sleep to get the best results.
6. NAKED Nutrition – Naked Casein
- ONLY ONE INGREDIENT: 100% Micellar Casein Protein...
- US FARMS ONLY: Naked Casein is brought to you only from...
- COLD PROCESSED: Naked Casein is cold processed, which...
NAKED Nutrition makes the next best casein protein powder.
Containing only 100% micellar casein, and free from growth hormones, additives, sweeteners, soy, and gluten, NAKED’s casein protein powder is one of the cleanest casein protein powders on the market.
In a 5lb tub, you can expect to get around 76 servings, each containing 26g of protein, 2g of sugar, 0g carbs, 110 calories, and 5.9g of BCAAs.
It’s also cold-pressed, which means there’s no contamination from chemical detergents, synthetic additives, or heavy metals.
For maximum gains, NAKED Nutrition recommends mixing two rounded scoops of casein protein powder with 6-10 fl.oz of cold water or your favorite beverage and consuming before bed to benefit from a sustained release of protein and amino acids while you sleep.
5. Ascent – Native Fuel Micellar Casein
- Recover while you sleep: help prevent muscle loss...
- Zero artificial ingredients
- 25g protein per scoop, 11g of naturally occurring...
Ascent’s Native Fuel Micellar Casein protein powder was created to improve athletic performance naturally.
The brand only uses real food ingredients specifically designed to improve muscle health and performance, and do not include artificial ingredients, sweeteners, or flavors.
In a 2lb pouch, you can expect to receive approximately 25 servings/scoops, each containing 25g of protein, 5g of carbohydrates, 1g of fat, and 11g of naturally occurring BCAAs.
For ideal results, Ascent suggests mixing one scoop of casein powder with 10-12 fl.oz of your favorite beverage and consuming before bed to prevent muscle loss and aid recovery.
4. Six Star – Elite Series Casein
- LET YOUR PROTEIN DO THE WORK - Each scoop serves up 24g...
- FUEL YOUR RECOVERY AFTER HOURS - 100% of the casein...
- YOU GROW WHILE YOU SLEEP, LITERALLY - This sustained...
Elite Series Casein contains Six Star’s powerful digesting protein formula that increases athletic recovery and provides your muscles with everything they need to grow.
Inside a 2lb tub, you’ll receive approximately 26 servings/scoops, each containing 20g of protein, 9g of carbohydrates, 5g of fat, and 4.9g of BCAAs.
Elite Series Casein is engineered for all athletes, including strength trainers, bodybuilders, endurance athletes, and general fitness enthusiasts.
For best results, Six Star recommends consuming one serving of Elite Series Casein before going to bed, as its sustained delivery process will ensure your muscles receive a continuous flow of amino acids and slow-release proteins.
3. BulkSupplements – Casein Protein Powder
- Slow absorption rate
- Loaded with essential amino acids
- Help with muscle recovery*
BulkSupplements casein protein powder is loaded with essential amino acids and contains approximately 25g of protein per serving.
In a 2.2lb bag, you can expect around 33 servings, each providing 25g of protein, 1g of carbohydrates, 1g of fat, and several high-quality branch-chain amino acids.
Some of the BCAAs included are Alanine, Arginine, Glycine, Leucine, and Proline, as well as many others.
BulkSupplements recommend consuming one serving, which equates to approximately 30g, or 4tbsps, every day to help aid recovery and promote muscle growth.
2. Dymatize – Elite Casein
- 25 grams of protein from 100% micellar casein, a...
- 5 grams of BCAAs, including 2.3 grams of L-Leucine per...
- Ideal for overnight sustained muscle growth and repair,...
Elite Casein from Dymatize is made from 100% micellar casein and is best used for overnight sustained muscle growth and extended periods between meals.
You’ll receive approximately 55 servings per 4lb container, and the recommended serving size is two scoops.
Each scoop will provide you with 25g of protein, 2g of carbohydrates, 1.5g of fat, and 5g of BCAAs to further support recovery and muscle growth.
To get the most out of Elite Casein, Dymatize recommends mixing two scoops with 10-12 fl.oz of your favorite beverage and consuming it during the evening or in place of any other small meal.
1. Optimum Nutrition – Gold Standard 100% Casein
- PACKAGING MAY VARY - New look, with the same trusted...
- SLOW DIGESTING – a great option between meals or at...
- MICELLAR CASEIN – 24g of a high-quality,...
Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard 100% Casein contains 24g of anti-catabolic micellar casein and 5g of naturally occurring BCAAs, Glutamine, and Glutamic Acid in each serving.
On top of that, you’ll also receive approximately 4g of carbohydrates, 1g of sugar, and 1g of fat in every serving.
Ingredients include micellar casein, cocoa powder, natural and artificial flavors, salt, lecithin, sucralose, and protease.
For best results, Optimum Nutrition recommends mixing one heaping scoop of Gold Standard 100% Casein with 10-12 fl.oz of your favorite beverage and consuming either between meals or before bed to fuel your body with slow-digesting proteins while you sleep.
We hope you enjoyed our list of the 10 best casein protein powders.
Thank god for casein protein powder! Getting up in the middle of the night to eat a chicken breast or two is not fun at all!
That’s why we use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Casein as our go-to slow-release protein supplement.
We highly recommend it!
Don’t forget to read:
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best casein protein powders:
- Optimum Nutrition – Gold Standard 100% Casein
- Dymatize – Elite Casein
- BulkSupplements – Casein Protein Powder
- Six Star – Elite Series Casein
- Ascent – Native Fuel Micellar Casein
- NAKED Nutrition – Naked Casein
- Legion Athletics – Casein+
- MusclePharm – Combat 100% Casein
- Kaged Muscle – Kasein
- MuscleTech – NitroTech Casein Gold